The first teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens surprised many fans when it did not feature any shots of the original trilogy cast members. According to a new rumor, that’s been fixed for the next trailer, which debuts this month at Star Wars Celebration. But there’s still one key face that’s reportedly left out.
More from Disney
- Seasons of the Force and new Star Tours coming to Disneyland
- Galaxy’s Edge delights fans revealing three new roaming droids
- New Young Jedi Adventure trailer gives first look at Bell Zettifar
- Interview: John Jackson Miller discusses transition from EU to Disney
- Ahsoka Tano is coming to Disneyland’s Star Tours
According to Jason Ward over at Making Star Wars, the new trailer, which also will play before Avengers: Age of Ultron in theaters May 1, will have a wide range of character appearances, including a few fan favorites. Check it out below:
- The runtime is just under 2 minutes, about 1:50 seconds.
- Han Solo, Princess Leia, R2-D2 and C-3PO are all in there.
- The planet of Yavin appears.
- Finn (John Boyega) with a blue lightsaber.
- A brief shot of the chrome Stormtrooper, possibly named Captain Phasma, played by Gwendoline Christie.
- Kylo Ren’s face is revealed.
- Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) shoot down a TIE fighter.
- Finn and Poe walking past a TIE Fighter.
- Multiple shots of Rey (Daisy Ridley).
- A shot of Poe Dameron, R2-D2, C-3PO, and a CGI character named “Rose” (which may be played by Lupita Nyong’o).
- BB-8 in the back of an X-Wing.
- Kylo Ren’s Imperial Shuttle flies with TIE Fighters to a Star Destroyer.
- More Star Destroyers.
- The Millennium Falcon.
- X-wing Fighters in a V formation.
- Darth Vader’s helmet sitting on a podium.
- No Andy Serkis.
- No Luke Skywalker.
Alright, time to overanalyze all of this:
- The biggest thing that jumps out here is the presence of the original crew but no Luke. The other main cast member missing is Chewbacca, but that’s a bit more understandable. To not have Luke in the trailer possibly hints that he won’t make his first appearance in The Force Awakens for some time, and that his reveal is intended to be a shocking moment.
- We’re getting plenty of returning faces from the first trailer. This appears to confirm that Poe Dameron is an X-Wing pilot, and that he and Finn have some sort of relationship. But what’s Finn doing with a blue lightsaber? Is that Luke’s lightsaber?
- We have very few details about Christie as Captain Phasma besides the leaked concept art from last year, and even fewer on “Rose,” who I’m thinking will be an alien creature rather than a droid.
- No Andy Serkis, after he voiced the original trailer. Will this trailer still feature narration, or better yet, some dialogue?
- It sounds like the trailer won’t be all characters, though, as we’ll get some juicy shots of space battles and planets. We’ve got Kylo Ren’s Imperial shuttle and a Star Destroyer, along with Poe shooting down a TIE fighter. The Falcon and X-Wings should also be included.
- But more curious is the mention of the planet Yavin. The rebel base from A New Hope was on one of Yavin’s moons, not the planet itself, so this could be a brand-new environment we haven’t seen before.
- Finally, the presence of Vader’s helmet raises a ton of questions. Will these new enemies be interested in Vader’s remains for some reason, and will they be part of the plot? Or will they just be used in a lesser sense?
We’ll get a few more hints about these questions, but probably no answers, when the trailer debuts on the first day of Star Wars Celebration on April 16, which Dork Side of the Force will be covering. Until then, we have plenty of time to speculate wildly.