With Rogue One: A Star Wars Story out in theaters in the U.S., we now know which of the movie’s original characters didn’t survive.
SPOILER WARNING: This article contains major spoilers for Rogue One. If you have not seen the movie, please consider carefully before scrolling any further.
A better question than, “Who died?” is “Who didn’t die?”
That’s right. All of the members of the Rogue One team died in this movie.
Let’s go through the list.
- K-2SO dies defending Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor while they search for the Death Star plans.
- Chirrut Imwe dies from enemy blaster fire after throwing a switch which will help Bodhi Rook send a message to the Rebel Alliance.
- Bodhi Rook is blown up when a shoretrooper throws a grenade inside his ship.
- Baze Malbus, after taking out several deathtroopers, dies by a grenade explosion.
- Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor die in the earthquake resulting from the Death Star’s destruction of the Imperial base on Scarif.
And that’s not the whole extent of the movie’s deaths. Saw Gerrera (Forrest Whitaker’s character) dies on Jedha in a similar manner to Jyn and Cassian, after the Death Star obliterates Jedha City. Jyn’s father, Galen Erso, expires by X-wing fire. Director Orson Krennic succumbs to the same earthquake as Jyn and Cassian on Scarif. Countless rebel soldiers die providing a distraction for Jyn and Cassian to steal the Death Star plans.
By the sheer number of deaths Starkiller Base inflicts, The Force Awakens contains the highest casualty toll of any Star Wars movie. But Rogue One presents the most meaningful deaths in the entire saga, in spite of the film’s fast pace and the multiplicity of characters.
More incredible is that despite all of the deaths it contains, Rogue One successfully delivers a message of hope.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story shows in theaters across the U.S. today. Go see it as soon as you can.