The latest Star Wars rumor isn’t very believable and here are all the reasons why we have hard time thinking it’s true.
Rumors. Shmumers. There seems to be a lot of them lately regarding Star Wars without any of them coming to fruition or even the potential of happening.
There’s a new one coming from the same site that provided a few ones lately, including one that has already been debunked by Daisy Ridley just days after the fact.
More from Star Wars News
- Seasons of the Force and new Star Tours coming to Disneyland
- Godzilla Minus One director Takashi Yamazaki wants to helm a Star Wars movie
- The Bad Batch showrunner Jennifer Corbett gives update on series
- “We lost Freddy” Rebels cast shares reaction to Kanan Jarrus’ death
- Vanessa Marshall wants to play Mara Jade in live action
What’s the latest Star Wars rumor?
We Got This Covered is saying “sources” have told them Lucasfilm is eyeing Emily Blunt to play a live-action Mara Jade.
I don’t have sources, but I do have logic and here’s why I think this rumor doesn’t add up.
1. When it comes to casting leads in Star Wars, Lucasfilm tends to go for actors that aren’t at the height of the career.
Sometimes, they tend to be supporting members such as Woody Harrelson as Beckett in Solo or Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu in the prequels.
Instead, it has cast people like Hayden Christensen or Daisy Ridley or Mark Hamill. From the beginning of the Star Wars franchise, Lucasfilm and then Disney has sought actors who don’t overshadow the story.
Emily Blunt is an A-list celeb coming off Mary Poppins Returns. She can pick and choose her projects these days and doesn’t need a Star Wars film to propel her status further.
2. A live-action Mara Jade doesn’t make sense without Luke Skywalker.
Unless Disney is planning on a movie set between the time of Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and wants to show Luke’s life during that time, it doesn’t make sense. Therefore, a live-action Mara Jade doesn’t make sense.
If Disney wanted a Mara Jade-like character, someone who was the right hand of the Emperor and then decided to turn on them, then it would be able to do that.
Disney picked bits and pieces of characters from the EU to create Ben Solo/Kylo Ren. A new character not named Mara Jade would make most sense.
3. I’m still waiting for the rumors to come true.
In just the last month, there have been five rumors of potential castings and one was just debunked. Not a good batting average so far.
What do you think of the latest Star Wars rumor? If a Mara Jade was cast, who would you want to see?