With the release of Claudia Gray’s The Fallen Star, Phase I of Star Wars: The High Republic era is coming to an end. But, that means Phase II is right around the corner, and the Star Wars: The High Republic Anniversary Special was chock full of reveals and announcements of what we can expect next.
Jan. 4, 2022, marked one year since the launch of The High Republic publishing initiative with the release of Charles Soule’s Light of the Jedi. Since then, we’ve been treated to adult, YA and middle-grade novels as well as children’s books and several ongoing comic series from Marvel.
The anniversary special hosted by Krystina Arielle was as much a celebration of the first year of the High Republic as a teaser-packed video of what’s coming up next in Phase II: Quest of the Jedi.
The High Republic family is getting bigger
Krystina brought in all five High Republic authors — Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott and Charles Soule. One of the biggest reveals of the show was that four new authors would be joining the initiative and penning books and comics.
Here’s who’s joining:
- Zoraida Córdova: Star Wars: A Crash of Fate; Star Wars short stories
- George Mann: Myths & Fables; Sith Legends; collaborated with Scott for Life Day Treasury; The High Republic: Showdown at the Fair; The Battle for Starlight
- Lydia Kang: From A Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- Tessa Gratton: Contributing to Star Wars: Stories of Jedi and Sith
Though details of what books or comics these new authors will land, the anniversary special revealed that Gratton will team up with Ireland to co-write the first YA novel for Phase II of The High Republic.
The High Republic is getting prequel stories
While the Light of the Jedi of Phase I is dimming, Phase II will take us back in time — 150 years, to be exact — for some adventurous prequels to the stories and characters we’ve seen so far.
With the Quest of the Jedi phase, here’s what our High Republic authors will be up to:
Cavan Scott: As his smash hit Star Wars: The High Republic Marvel comic series wraps up, Scott will be back in October to pen the next comic series for the era. The first issue is due in October.
Charles Soule: After the upcoming Marvel series Eye of the Storm concludes, Soule will write a new comic series focusing on Jedi Porter Engle’s past — specifically, how he became the infamous Blade of Bardotta.
Daniel José Older: Star Wars comics from Dark Horse Comics are returning, and Older will write an all-ages graphic novel for The High Republic Adventures in the fall.
Justina Ireland: Besides the YA novel with Tessa Gratton, Ireland said her upcoming middle-grade novel, Mission to Disaster, teases details to Phase II.
Claudia Gray: Though she couldn’t yet reveal what she’s up to next after The Fallen Star, Gray said Phase II is “an era of exploration and invention” and that “I’m not going anywhere.”
Key dates to remember for the finale of Phase I
- The Fallen Star (adult): Jan. 4
- Eye of the Storm #1 (comic): Jan. 12
- The High Republic Adventures: Galactic Bake-Off Spectacular (comic): Jan. 19
- Midnight Horizon (YA): Feb. 1
- The Battle for Starlight (children’s): Feb. 1
- Mission to Disaster (middle-grade): March 1
- The High Republic: Tempest Runner (script book): March 1
Keep up to date with all things Star Wars books at Dork Side of the Force!