At this point, Star Wars book fans have high hopes that most if not all of the older Legends novels will be re-released as part of the gorgeous Essential Legends Collection. We’re definitely not mad about it.
The new wave of re-releases, coming Nov. 2, includes The Old Republic‘s Revan by Drew Karpyshyn and Deceived by Paul S. Kemp, and book 4 of the Rogue Squadron (formerly X-Wing) series, The Bacta War by Michael A. Stackpole.
Check out the covers including new art for each:
The Bacta War is also set to get a new unabridged audiobook edition on the same day. Rogue Squadron and Wedge’s Gamble have already gotten updated audiobooks, and book 3, The Krytos Trap, gets a new audio recording on Aug. 2.
The Bacta War continues the perilous missions of Rogue Squadron’s Wedge Antilles and Corran Horn several years after the events of Return of the Jedi. After evil Imperial leader Ysanne Isard unleashed a horrific virus to try to keep control of Coruscant (The Krytos Trap), her next plan is to destabilize the infant New Republic by taking control of its bacta production.
Revan and Deceived are the third and second books, respectively, of The Old Republic book series. Based on the multiplayer video game of the same name, the books chronicle characters and events about 3,600 years before the prequel films.
Though it’s a series, the books don’t need to be read in a particular order as they don’t string together a larger storyline. If you do want to read them in chronological order here’s how: Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance, Annihilation.
Star Wars announced the Essential Legends Collection more than a year ago as a way to breathe new life into the Expanded Universe, which is no longer canon. And with new art and larger, more reader-friendly paperbacks, the collection is also helping newer readers connect with older but still beloved Star Wars stories.
Here’s what’s been released and announced so far:
- Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn
- Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn
- The Last Command by Timothy Zahn
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two by Drew Karpyshyn
- Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil by Drew Karpyshyn
- Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover
- Rogue Squadron by Michael A. Stackpole
- Wedge’s Gamble by Michael A. Stackpole
- Kenobi by John Jackson Miller
- Darth Plagueis by James Luceno
- The Krysto Trap by Michael A. Stackpole (Aug. 2)
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves (Aug. 2)
- Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber (Aug. 2)