With the worldwide theatrical premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, come and gone, we look ahead to the next film in the sequel trilogy, and try to guess the title of Star Wars: Episode VIII.
Now that most of us have seen Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, it’s time to begin looking toward Rian Johnson and his film, Star Wars: Episode VIII. In trying to guess the name of the next installment in the new Star Wars trilogy, one need only look at the possible story-lines for the film. Here’s what we know:
- Rey has found Jedi Master Luke.
- The Skywalker familial Lightsaber has been found and now in possession of either Luke or Rey.
- Starkiller base and the First Order are reeling after their defeat at the hands of Leia’s Resistance.
- Han Solo is dead.
- A defeated and grievously injured Kylo Ren is being brought to Supreme Leader Snoke for further training.
- Rey’s story and past will most assuredly be expounded upon.
Here’s what else we know about Episode VIII, and that is the fact that actor Benicio del Toro will be a Sith-like character in the film. So, will Kylo Ren’s further training include Del Toro’s character? If so, how will this affect the title of Star Wars: Episode VIII? Think back on previous Star Wars film titles:
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace — All about Darth Maul and the Sith revealing themselves to the Jedi.
- Episode II: Attack of the Clones — All about the discovery and rise of the Republic’s Clone Army.
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith — All about Palpatine’s reveal that he is the Dark Lord of the Sith and his turning of Anakin into Darth Vader and the purge of the Jedi Order.
- Episode IV: A New Hope — All about finding exiled Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Rebel Alliance’s destruction of the first Death Star.
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back — All about Darth Vader’s tracking down and attempted capture of Luke Skywalker, his reveal that he is Luke’s father, and Han’s capture by Boba Fett and the Hutts.
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi — All about Luke’s rise as a Jedi Knight, and his defeat of Darth Vader, the Emperor, and the Empire.
- Episode VII: The Force Awakens — All about the Force being awakened in a new (possible) Skywalker, Rey.
So, following the pattern of naming Star Wars films, my guess is that Star Wars: Episode VIII will be…
Star Wars Episode VIII: Rise of the Dark Side
My reasoning for this is simple: After each good title, a negative one must follow. After there was a new hope in the galaxy, the Empire struck back. When the Republic bolstered their ranks with a clone army, the Sith got their revenge, and after the Force has awakened, the darkness will rise. Remember, Snoke has Kylo brought to him to complete his training. I’d say our heroes are in trouble, unless Luke can train Rey and others like her to battle the Dark Side.
What would you title Star Wars: Episode VIII? Let’s talk about it in the comments section or on our social media accounts.