While Rogue One and Star Wars: Episode VIII are currently filming and in preparing to go into post-production, Lucasfilm is forging ahead with trademarks for possible future Star Wars projects…
More from Dork Side of the Force
- The High Republic Adventures (2023) 1 review
- Daniel José Older named a High Republic Adventures character after someone special
- How animation changed Star Wars: Ewoks and Droids
- Kelleran Beq comes to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- The Mandalorian’s Pedro Pascal becomes No. 1 on IMDb’s Starmeter for 2023
Thanks to Redditor thatstarwarsdude on the subreddit Star Wars Leaks, we now have an update to the mysterious Lucasfilm trademarks that were made back in August of 2015 under the Education and Entertainment Services tag. On March 15, Lucasfilm sent an amendment request to the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the two names — “Valara” and “Mon Destra” — which got some updates, and TSD laid out in detail, the specifics of the change:
- Production, distribution, and rental of motion picture films.
- Production, distribution, and rental of television programs.
- Production and rental of sound and visual recordings.
- Production of live-action and animated entertainment shows and interactive programs for distribution via audio and visual media, and electronic means.
- Production and provision of entertainment news and entertainment information via communication and computer networks.
- Providing entertainment services via a global communication network in the nature of online games and websites featuring a wide variety of general interest entertainment and information relating to motion picture films, television show programs, musical videos, related film clips, photographs, and other multimedia materials.
- Amusement park and theme park services.
- Educational and entertainment services rendered in or relating to theme parks, namely live stage shows, live amusement park shows, live performances by costumed characters, and presentation of live theatrical performances.
- Presentation of live stage shows.
- Presentation of live show performances.
- Entertainment in the nature of theater productions.
- Entertainer services, namely, live appearances by a professional entertainer.
So as you can see, those two Lucasfilm trademarked names, went from the vague “Education and Entertainment” tag, to a very specific, and long-list of details, defining what the now mean to both Disney and Lucasfilm.
The name Valara sounds female in origin (to me) and could be Jedi, in nature. The name Mon Destra holds two meanings in the Star Wars franchise, for me. “Mon” harkening back to both Mon Calamari — the species and planet Admiral Ackbar is from — and Mon Mothma the Senator from the Original Trilogy.
Perhaps Mon Destra could be another planet in the Mon Calamari species…but that doesn’t sound right to me. Mon Destra sounds as if it could be a family name from Mon Mothma, or perhaps a title given to the people from Chandrila who hold rank? I am honestly just speculating here.
Thatstarwarsdude did mention two other trademark names being watched, for possible upcoming Star Wars films:
"“As for other Lucasfilm trademark things that we have been keeping an eye on: the recent registering of “shadow troopers” indicates that shadow troopers will be a thing in either Rogue One or Ep8; and, “Star Wars The Ways of the Force” is interestingly listed in the same generic “Education and entertainment services” that Valara and Mon Destra were first listed as.”"
Star Wars: The Ways of the Force sounds like a title of a book to me. Hopefully it’s nothing close to the title of Episode VIII. I also very much want to see what a Shadow Trooper looks like.
We want to hear from you: What do you think of these trademark Lucasfilm Star Wars names? What do they hold for the future of Star Wars films? Let us know in the comments and on social media.