EA’s announcement of the upcoming Battle on Scarif content update for Star Wars Battlefront II also came with news that this will be the popular game’s last major content update.
After over two years of support, Star Wars Battlefront II is set to receive its last major content update on April 29, according to an announcement made by EA and DICE on Tuesday. The update, The Battle on Scarif, will send players to the planet made famous by Rouge One.
While this location has been long requested by players, it also marks the end of major content updates, as stated on a blog post: “This means that we’re moving away from delivering regular content updates. As the game lives on with the players and our community, we’re looking forward to hearing your stories for years to come.”
More from Star Wars Video Games
- Kelleran Beq comes to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Galaxy of Heroes adds another Mandalorian Season 3 character to the game
- 2 Star Wars games earn Game Awards nominations
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor could win a Grammy
- Star Wars Hunters announces another game delay
It’s clear that EA isn’t pulling the plug completely. The mention of the gaming living on signals that support for servers will remain. In addition, a video posted on EA Star Wars’ YouTube channel says that in-game challenges and events will continue.
However, players hoping for more major content — like the addition of Ahsoka and Ventress as playable characters, or the porting of some of Star Wars Battlefront I’s maps — appear to be out of luck. The future of Star Wars Battlefront II updates will likely be small bug fixes.
Besides marking the end of major content updates, The Battle on Scarif also brings several worthwhile additions to the game; here are some of the highlights:
- Age of Rebellion maps (Scarif, Hoth, Death Star II, Tatooine, and Yavin 4) added to Supremacy and Instant Action
- Scarif and Crait added to Heroes vs. Villains map rotation
- MC85 Star Cruiser, First Order Star Destroyer, and Scarif added to Co-Op
- Seven new skins
- Shoretrooper (Empire) and Pathfinder (Rebellion) trooper appearances
- Two Rey skins: With her yellow lightsaber from The Rise of Skywalker, and with her hood up
- Kylo Ren with his hood up
- Emperor Palpatine with his red robes from The Rise of Skywalker
- Darth Maul with robotic legs
Star Wars Battlefront II has made an incredible comeback after its rocky launch, providing fans with a memorable Star Wars experience across each of the iconic eras. With content updates going away, all eyes are on a possible Star Wars Battlefront III for the next generation of consoles set to release this winter.
The Battle on Scarif update for Star Wars Battlefront II launches on April 29.