There are so many questions surrounding the trailer shown for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, but one stands above the rest: Who is Rey?
Last week, during the Star Wars Celebration, the teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi was shown during the panel for The Last Jedi. The teaser shows Rey hard at work, training and honing her skills as a hopeful Jedi. And then, Luke Skywalker uttered the last line of said trailer, and the internet was set afire.
“I only know one thing. It’s time for the Jedi to end.”
On of the biggest questions that Star Wars fans hope is answered in The Last Jedi, is who exactly Rey is. Is she a Skywalker? Is she a Kenobi? Or, is she someone totally different and new in the Star Wars saga?
Many fans, myself included hope and believe that Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker. However, after a brief interview on the red carpet of Star Wars Celebration, with journalist Erik Davis, the Skywalker dream may have been crushed.
"Obviously, he [Luke] doesn’t even know who she is when she shows up."
More from Dork Side of the Force
- Daniel José Older named a High Republic Adventures character after someone special
- How animation changed Star Wars: Ewoks and Droids
- Kelleran Beq comes to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- The Mandalorian’s Pedro Pascal becomes No. 1 on IMDb’s Starmeter for 2023
- Unwrapping the Star Wars LEGO Advent Calendar: Day 7
Okay, there could be two possible answers for this reasoning:
- Luke doesn’t recognize his own daughter because she was taken to Jakku at a very young age, and therefore he doesn’t “know” her right off the bat.
- Rey is a completely new entity in the Star Wars saga, and Luke genuinely has no clue who this girl holding his familial lightsaber actually is.
As a Star Wars fan who believes that the main saga centers around the Skywalker family tree, I really hope the answer is the former. However, with Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm, there are so many ways this story could go, that I can sadly see the latter to be true.
We want to hear from you: Do you think Rey is a Skywalker? Or, do you believe she really is someone completely new to the Star Wars saga? Let’s discuss in the comments below.