The novelization for Star Wars: The Last Jedi recently leaked, revealing details we did not receive in the film. One of those being the past of Supreme Leader Snoke. Spoilers ahead.
Recently, a Star Wars fan got their hands on an early release of the novelization for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The book reveals many surprises, but welcome ones to be sure, on characters from the film — details omitted from the final version of the movie. Thankfully, director/writer for The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson, collaborated with the author of the film’s book adaptation — making this reading experience one for the stars.
We even receive the first line of the book, which reveals details on a possible love interest for Luke Skywalker. Also, within the pages contains hints at the identity and origins of Supreme Leader Snoke, among other details from the final act of The Last Jedi.
Spoilers for the novelization of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are ahead.Photo Credit: Lucasfilm
Your last chance to turn back from the seduction of the Dark Side and wait for the novel. Nah, we didn’t think so!
- Rey arrived on Ahch-To right before Luke Skywalker donned his Jedi robes, where he was going to burn down the tree and the ancient Jedi texts.
- Luke and R2-D2 searched for ancient Jedi history and lore over two decades.
- Kylo Ren smiles victoriously at Rey when her escape pod lands on the Supremacy.
- He says, once again, that the Skywalker lightsaber is his. Rey informs Kylo Ren that the weapon “called out” to her at Maz’s castle.
- Kylo Ren saw a glimpse of Rey’s past when they touched hands.
- Just before the duo arrives inside of Snoke’s throne room, Rey realizes Kylo’s unbalanced emotions are about his feelings for her.
- Rey is mesmerized and fixated on Snoke’s eyes — much like the Dark Side cave on Ahch-To.
- She considers looking for more answers on her past, by using Snoke’s knowledge, but resists.
- Snoke arrogantly meditates about visions of the future and his own immense power.
- When Snoke was young, he learned that the future is always in motion. “Be careful or die.”
- Now wise and old, he realizes Force visions are often incomplete.
- Snoke has murdered and destroyed legions of countless adversaries, who underestimated him in time’s past.
- Snoke was an unexpected leader of the First Order.
- Imperial leadership who survived the Battle of Jakku did not foresee his rise to power.
- Gallius Rax, Sloane, the political lunatic Ormes Apolin or even Brendol Hux did not see this rise coming.
- The Supreme Leader either killed them or arranged for their death himself. Only Armitage Hux (general Hux from The Last Jedi ) is spared, but Snoke only uses him as a tool.
- The rise of the First Order was more opportunistic for Snoke, and not his grand plan.
- Emperor Palpatine’s contingency, Operation Cinder, was engineered to destroy the Empire upon his death and bring forth a rebirth of it, stronger than it was before. Snoke used that to his advantage, with Darth Sidious unaware that Snoke would be the one to see it through.
- Darth Sidious sensed Snoke through the Force before his death but was not sure exactly what he was sensing.
- After the destruction of the Empire; shipyards, laboratories, and storehouses in the Unknown Regions built up weaponry for The First Order.
- The brilliance, knowledge, and foresight of Snoke rescued the First Order from many enemies.
- Snoke discovered many truths about the Force in the Unknown Regions, which were waiting to be found.
- Snoke respects the fact that Luke sought out the same sort of knowledge and truth on his Jedi quests.
- Anakin and Luke both were instruments of the Cosmic Force.
- Luke, at one point during his search for Jedi lore, connected with Snoke to gain knowledge of the Force. It’s unsure if Luke knew of Snoke’s evil intentions or not.
- Snoke does not need Rey for her powers like Sidious did with Luke, but, he muses that she would have been a worthy apprentice in his past endeavors.
- Even though Snoke claims that Kylo Ren has redeemed himself, his use for Kylo is over — due to his unstable nature within the Force.
- Snoke contemplates that after Kylo Ren kills Rey and the Resistance is destroyed, he’ll re-think Kylo’s future or even kill him.
- When Snoke reveals that he was the one to connect Rey and Kylo Ren through the Force, he notices Kylo’s surprise reaction to that very truth.
- Snoke believes Kylo Ren is capable of greatness if he entirely turns away from the Light Side.
More from Dork Side of the Force
- We’ll get our first look at Star Wars: Visions during Anime Expo Lite in July
- Is Star Wars: The Bad Batch moving to Wednesdays?
- What’s coming to Disney Plus in July 2021: The Bad Batch, Black Widow and more
- Star Wars: How did Plo Koon die?
- Loki head writer Michael Waldron teases Kevin Feige Star Wars movie
The fact that Luke Skywalker and Snoke met in person in time’s past and discussed the mysteries of the Force is incredible. Hopefully, Lucasfilm is making that very novel as we “speak.”
The fact that Snoke countless times destroyed his adversaries, displays how old he indeed is, leaving a tremendous possibility he was present at the foundation of the Jedi and Sith orders.
We cannot wait to find out more on the Supreme Leader’s origins and what he discovered on his journey of acquiring Dark Side lore — a nice contrast to what Luke was doing with collecting Jedi artifacts. How cool would a novel be, transitioning back and forth between Luke and Snoke’s quests, concluding with their introduction to one another? The possibilities are endless.
The novelization for Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits stores March 6, 2018, worldwide.