Andy Serkis suggests that the origins of Snoke will be revealed in The Last Jedi…
The always playful Andy Serkis had a ton of fun at a recent fan expo promoting his role as Caesar in the Planet of the Apes film series turned video game, where naturally, a fan asked him about his role as Snoke in the upcoming The Last Jedi. His response was priceless saying “oh no,” teasing the fan who asked the unanswerable question.
Serkis did oblige a little, giving us a few juicy details on Snoke, which you can see in a YouTube video of this event. I recommend watching the entire panel, but if you just want the Snoke details, fast forward to about the 23-minute mark:
"I know enough to play the character. There is a mystery to the character and its coming up soon. I know who he is, where he comes from, what he represents. That will be soon be out the bag and unfold itself."
Serkis also gave the fans what they wanted and reenacted his voice over from the initial trailer for The Force Awakens:
"There’s been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
More from Dork Side of the Force
- Daniel José Older named a High Republic Adventures character after someone special
- How animation changed Star Wars: Ewoks and Droids
- Kelleran Beq comes to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- The Mandalorian’s Pedro Pascal becomes No. 1 on IMDb’s Starmeter for 2023
- Unwrapping the Star Wars LEGO Advent Calendar: Day 7
What do we know so far about this powerful Dark Side user who hails from the Unknown Regions? Not too much, but we do have a few details — which we know from canon sources (TFA novelization, Bloodline novel, Aftermath trilogy, TFA visual guide, and other canon visual dictionaries — about the shadowy Snoke:
- Snoke (and Kylo Ren) are not Sith.
- Snoke’s had other apprentices before Kylo Ren.
- He was around to witness the events of the Empire, knowing the history of Darth Vader, even of his redemption.
- He encourages and instructs Kylo to embrace the light and dark within him, saying that it will mold him into a powerful Dark Side acolyte by doing so.
- He is from the Unknown Regions of Galactic space.
- During the time of the Empire, Snoke was calling out to Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious through the Force, for reasons unknown at this point.
- His Mega-class Star Destroyer is called the “Supremacy” and will be the largest one to date within Star Wars. Check out the details of Snoke’s ship here.
- Snoke is afraid of Luke Skywalker, knowing full well that the Jedi Master could bring peace and justice back to the galaxy.
It is also possible that part of Snoke’s mystery will be revealed in the upcoming trailer for The Last Jedi, projected to drop on October 9, on ESPN during Monday Night Football.
The Last Jedi hits theaters everywhere December 15, where we will see Snoke (likely) training Kylo Ren in the ways of the Dark Side. The hype is real, folks.